Anyone agree with Clifford?

Thread Closed 

viana45 Offline

First Team Regular

Glad to see mac ur coming round to my way of thinkin!
11th December 2009 10:00 PM
Find all posts by this user
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

in what way am I coming round to your way of thinking?
11th December 2009 10:07 PM
liam1708 Offline

First Team Starter

He's coming on to you
11th December 2009 10:13 PM
viana45 Offline

First Team Regular

Calling Ashley a cunt

sorry to make u jealous laim or mail whatever
11th December 2009 10:27 PM
liam1708 Offline

First Team Starter

Divvent worry Vaina he's all yours petal
11th December 2009 10:29 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

Mac and Viana are the Hughton and Calderwood of TOTT...

Big Grin
11th December 2009 10:33 PM
viana45 Offline

First Team Regular

Mac wishes
11th December 2009 10:47 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

Well, isn't this nice?

*Sets out picnic; opens Tupperware*
11th December 2009 11:12 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

Big Grin

We have the best defence in this league. Wonder what the feelings will be if Ashley sells in the Jan transfer window, instead of strengthening?
11th December 2009 11:26 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

I would think that would be Ashley behaving completely to the script as we understand it. No-one would be surprised. I doubt anyone could even dredge up enough anger to post a vitriolic post about it anymore. It is opus moderandi.

Some strange opinions about Max Clifford though. Not that he's a cunt as such, that is an accepted matter of fact. More the idea that he has been paid off by Ashley. A strange way of pimping the fat one I would say. If I was a skinflint and malicious owner of a football club, I would not hire a mouthpiece to point out the shortcomings of my reign, let alone tell the national media that in order to gain some kind of credibility that, as owner, I'd have to actually spend money and invest in the team to have a prayer, let alone acknowledge that Ashley has a responsibility to run the club, not bury his head in the sand, and that he would do well not to take the fans for granted.

But as it was Max Clifford who said all this, and he is a cunt to be fair, he must have been paid off by Ashley as some form of PR excersise. I'll bet Ashley was creaming his pants to read that Max Clifford thinks he should invest in the team, and that Ashley has no credibility amongst supporters. Fair play, that is one fuck of a pre planned charm offensive Rolleyes
11th December 2009 11:48 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

I'd be curious to know how much Ashley paid Clifford, if in fact he did pay him.
12th December 2009 12:06 AM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

What would he be paying him for? Telling the world he's (Ashley) is a useless hated twat?
12th December 2009 12:21 AM
merton7 Offline

Youth Team

I think it is the first stage of a charm offensive. COB you wonder what Ashley will gain from this...look at some of the posts on this thread. It has sparked a debate - is Ashley really that bad, maybe, just maybe he has made some good decisions in the eyes of some people this year. He has shipped out those who wanted to leave on high wages and replaced them with loan signings etc. Up until this article no-one would of articulated that they actually thought that Ashley hadn't actually done too bad. Then we have the die hard Ashley haters who will never see anything good in the man (and I have to say I am on their side). But if this article is provoking this kind of response and thinking on this board, then what is it doing throughout the rest of the country - a clever move if you ask me.
12th December 2009 12:40 AM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

You have a point Merton. I still hate Ashley, and nothing he will ever do will make me change my mind.
Clifford would never say anything public unless he was paid Count. He's getting money from somewhere.
12th December 2009 12:50 AM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

I can't see how the article is in any way a charm offensive. To me it points out the obvious.

It runs along the lines of: Ashley is a terrible owner, he deserves contempt, he could try and make a reputation for himself at NUFC, he probably won't as it involves money, and even if he does people will still hate him anyway.

How is that a charm offensive? I'm not being antagonistic, I'm just curious whether people have the same take on the article as I have read it. To me Ashley got an objective slagging, and not much in the way of redemption, unless we won the Premier League, and even that had a caveat.

12th December 2009 12:53 AM
Sal Offline

First Team Regular

Perhaps Ashley does indeed intend to ensure we are promoted, be it by investing a little or just not selling at all in January.

Perhaps he even intends to hold onto the club for a while as he sees no buyer, so he is gonna pump just a little into the team come the summer time. Articles like this one almost try to suggest that fans HAVE to start to accept him if he does such things.

Just a thought.
12th December 2009 01:18 AM
merton7 Offline

Youth Team

Yes, Count you are right, it pointed out the obvious but in a very positive way. His previous PR people were shockingly bad with the letter about his family being threatened and the outage in court with the KK escapade. He now realises he needs something more positive and I would say this is the first step. If, after this he does invest a bit in January and do a bit for the region eg the health service as Clifford suggests he would boost his ratings. I would say this is the very first step to him trying to create a positive image of himself. If he admits that he has got it wrong and now tries to ingratiate himself back then this CLifford article is exactlly the right way to start that process. Clifford for all his faults is a very clever PR man. And as i said earlier look at the response on here to this, it has already got people talking about maybe Ashley isn't quite so bad as we would all believe.
12th December 2009 01:22 AM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

I still fail to see how an article that does little other than to point out Ashley's shortcomings can be seen as some sort of trajectory testing of the waters as some kind of PR offensive on his part.

Clifford admits that the bloke (Ashley) is pretty much fucked even if he lands the Prem title, so it's a pretty bizarre way to conduct a charm war to my way of thinking.

"Yes, the fat bastard confirms every suspicion he has hitherto lived up to. On the other hand he ain't that bad....."

Can you see the absurdity in that? Yes we are all talking about it on here, but only in hypothetical terms. To me that article suggests that everyone knows whatever Ashley does he has earned the contempt of the supporters, and that even winning the Prem may not be enough for some to forgive him.

And for all of this, I have not read one logical argument that makes any kind of sense to me that the Clifford piece is some kind of charm offensive in disguise, or is this just some kind of popular conspiracy simply because it is Max Clifford?
12th December 2009 01:37 AM
merton7 Offline

Youth Team

I agree with you. But why would Max Clifford be writing derogotary things about Newcastle (for free) - he has enough highly paid celebs who pay him for him to fill the tabloids daily. I think we should watch this space as I think there is a lot more to come. He will start with the negative tack and slowly move it around. I have to say if Ashley has employed Clifford then that is a very shrewd step
12th December 2009 01:48 AM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

[quote=merton7]I agree with you. But............... /quote]

Big Grin

I refer you to my earlier points madam. Big Grin
12th December 2009 01:57 AM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

Just had a thought........ maybe Clifford is a Toon fan and is just as mad as us.
12th December 2009 12:54 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

He supports, Arsenal..
12th December 2009 12:59 PM
ColoradoMagpie Offline

Reserve Team

The statements are silly because they are so hypothetical and contrary to anything Ashley has done in the past. BUT, were we to get promoted and Ashley to spend enough to get us charging up the table, yes, hard feelings would subside. And, yes, were we to win the PL, I think a 90% approval rating is likely.

But again, these are really asinine comments given the lack of anything he's ever done with the club except muck it up.
12th December 2009 02:40 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

My default setting is not to believe a single word that comes out of the club, whether officially, or through the likes of Clifford or Kinnear. Lying shitehawks all.
12th December 2009 03:01 PM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular

Venegoor Wrote:My default setting is not to believe a single word that comes out of the club, whether officially, or through the likes of Clifford or Kinnear. Lying shitehawks all.

I concur.
12th December 2009 03:55 PM

Thread Closed