Mitrovic

Mitrovic

Tight_Ass_Bramble Offline

Chairman
RE: Mitrovic

(29th June 2018 01:40 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.it still makes no sense......don't play a player at all because he doesn't train as hard as the preferred player who can't do it on a match day...it's bollocks I tell you...bollocks

It kind of makes some sense..

Why reward a player whose attitude in training during the week is shit with a starting place on Saturday ? What kind of message does that send to the other players ? Especially the younger ones trying to get into the squad or first eleven.

Yes, ultimately it could cost us on the pitch but, from a managers perspective (not only a football managers perspective) the sense in it is in maintaining the ethics of the group by not rewarding Jimmy Bellflap, who has been fucking around all week.
29th June 2018 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

The reason he went on loan was purely to guarantee him game time in the build up to the World Cup.

As for why Rafa couldn't guarantee him games, it wasn't an attitude problem, a training problem or a disciplinary issue - it was tactical.

Rafa said it himself (at some talk-in I think?) and I'm sure it's already been posted on this thread - he wants strikers that are able to "help the team defensively" when we aren't in possession, and seeing as we usually had less possession than other teams, you can see why this is important. He also wants strikers to "help the team with their movements - create space for others".

We had a very structured and organised way of playing last season, even in games where we had a more attacking focus, you could tell that the players were well drilled and stuck to certain routines - ususally Shelvey -> Winger/Full-Back -> Low Cross. Watch our goals for the season and we scored loads from that kind of play.

Mitro is great in the air but do we have the players to provide the crosses to him? Yedlin and Dummett at full back aren't the best crossers of a ball, neither is Atsu. Ritchie fair enough, but he plays on the wrong wing. Kenedy I'm not so sure about but I don't think anyone would highlight crossing as his strong point. We just don't play to Mitro's strengths and he struggled to adapt to our play.

Yes he might have converted a few more chances than Joselu, but he has proven himself to be inconsistent in front of goal. A good half-season for Fulham was similar to Gayle's prolific form in the Championship - scored loads because he had loads of chances. Take those away from him and you might see him struggle more.

I still think he's worth keeping, he's a good option to have and we might even be able to make a few changes to our team that let us play more to his strengths - talk of Ritchie being sold might mean we're looking at more direct wingers? But I don't think Mitro himself will be happy as just "another option" plus the money we'll get for him may be "needed" to fund other signings.
29th June 2018 03:11 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

There aint no way he wants to be a ‘chuck him on for the last 15 minutes to share the blame/try and salvage a draw’ player, and we don’t want a disruptive influence if he goes in a huff. Maybe Rafa’s replacement will value him more Smile
29th June 2018 03:24 PM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular
Mitrovic

Didn't Keegan ditch Quinn because of his attitude in training?

Or did I mishear and it was actually a hat he chewed?
29th June 2018 03:25 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Mitrovic

TAB......

I keep referring to the total exclusion (in the end)

Aye so fair enough, Mitro might not have trained as well as Joselu but did that really warrant him not getting a game at all?

What if Joselu was the best trainer at the club - did that guarantee him a start every game regardless of form on the big day?

Richie....

Mitro does help defensively - he proved for Fulham and Serbia that he is prepared to do some of the dirty work at the back and in the middle

He also has much more to his game than being a good header of the ball - and don't get me started on professional footballers on thousands of pounds a week who can't cross a ball into the box
(This post was last modified: 29th June 2018 03:34 PM by McCreery.)
29th June 2018 03:31 PM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

(29th June 2018 03:25 PM)lipsquid Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Didn't Keegan ditch Quinn because of his attitude in training?

Or did I mishear and it was actually a hat he chewed?

No. Keegan give Quinny a start and he scored a hattrick. KK then dropped him as it was Beardsley (I think) coming back into the team following a week out with injury.
29th June 2018 03:44 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

(29th June 2018 03:31 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Richie....

Mitro does help defensively - he proved for Fulham and Serbia that he is prepared to do some of the dirty work at the back and in the middle

He also has much more to his game than being a good header of the ball - and don't get me started on professional footballers on thousands of pounds a week who can't cross a ball into the box

There's not that much more to his game really though - obviously he can do more but that's his strength and whatever you think of players who can't cross, we just don't have the players or use the tactics to play to that strength.

Defensively he might be prepared to get back and do the work but there's more to it than that - he is clumsy, he gives the ball away trying fancy flicks at the wrong moment and he doesn't press the backline as much as Gayle/Perez/Joselu.

Like it or not, that's all important in our tactics last season.

And I don't mean any of that as a dig at Mitro - as I've said before I'd rather he stays and I'd rather him play than Joselu, whether Mitro fits the system or not.

He's a character, a handful and I love watching him play even if he is frustrating at times.
(This post was last modified: 29th June 2018 04:14 PM by richyNUFC.)
29th June 2018 03:51 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Mitrovic

Its just a situation I will never understand Richy

I get that it was a tactical decision but it was a decision that didn't bare fruit....Joselu was fuckin wank

It then became farcical as we watched Mitrovic get Fulham promoted while Slimani barely put his boots on

To exclude Mitrovic and to then have neither of his replacements make any impact whatsoever can only be seen as a fuck up in my mind
(This post was last modified: 29th June 2018 05:33 PM by McCreery.)
29th June 2018 05:20 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

Aye but Gayle was always number one. Mitro would only have been a bench player even if he stayed. Would he have made much impact himself? We finished 10th, would we have done much better if he'd stayed and played the odd 30 minutes?

I know where you're coming from, but can't see it as a fuck up when we comfortably reached our goal for the season.
29th June 2018 05:33 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Starter

It was a fuck up richy, joselu was a joke and slimani was crocked, terribly embarrassing decision by benitez, but as I said all great managers make mistakes, shit happens
29th June 2018 05:53 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

Joselu played because he was Rafa's signing, pretty basic. If he hadn't played him fatty would have been on the phone wanting answers.
29th June 2018 05:59 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Mitrovic

Its the fact he thought he needed to buy Joselu in the first place though Ven......he was obviously there to replace Mitrovic

Replacing a player with someone worse can only be a fuck up......its the kind of thing other managers have been slaughtered for
29th June 2018 06:04 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

(29th June 2018 06:04 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Its the fact he thought he needed to buy Joselu in the first place though Ven......he was obviously there to replace Mitrovic

Replacing a player with someone worse can only be a fuck up......its the kind of thing other managers have been slaughtered for

That too Mac. Whilst all players are a gamble when bought, even 90 mil Pogba, managers are stubborn fucks when it comes to their own signings. Dear old Sir Bob brought Bowyer in, he played behind the front 2, scoring goals and featuring for England if memory serves, the he sticks him out on the left wing just to be stubborn.
29th June 2018 06:07 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

There's a good reeason why Benitez felt the need to replace Mitro in the first place - aye, he may have scored a few goals for Fulham, but he played Championship football for us for a full season before that and struggled to make any impression.

Maybe because he wasn't the main man and given a good run of game? But that would have been the case in the Premier League as well. Gayle was obviously the favourite and deservedly so after his form in the Championship, so Mitro's use would have been as an impact player or a backup to injury. He did nothing in the previous year to prove he was capable of that role, why suddenly think he'd manage it in the Premier League?

Obviously it turned out that Joselu wasn't the greatest replacement, but I can see why Benitez wanted another option.
29th June 2018 06:58 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Mitrovic

I don't remember him starting that many games in the Championship season

I think it's fairly clear that Mitro just isn't a Benitez type player - obviously I have no problem with that

BUT replace him with someone who is clearly an improvement on him, not some fuckin donkey from the bargain basement or a loanee crock who barely played

For the record I reckon Daryl Murphy would have been better than Joselu and I see that as another fuck up in the season long picture
29th June 2018 08:06 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

(29th June 2018 08:06 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.I don't remember him starting that many games in the Championship season

That was my point Mac. He didn't start and couldn't make any impression in the Championship, so why would he do a job in the Premier League in the same role?

And I can't agree about Murphy - he didn't do much for Forest last season, never mind a Premier League side that struggled for most of the season.

He did a job for us but he is never a Premier League player.
30th June 2018 09:07 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite
Mitrovic

Aye but saying "he played Championship football for us for a full season before that and struggled to make any impression" suggests he played most of the games and failed to make an impression

Like I said, Its obvious that Mitrovic isn't a Benitez type player but to - A) have him on the bench in a limited squad and not use him and - B) not replace him with any better after two attempts is a fuck up.....no two ways about it for me

Benitez is obviously totally entitled to pick the players he wants but I think he has handled it badly....same goes for Mbemba
30th June 2018 01:16 PM
richyNUFC Offline

First Team Regular

(30th June 2018 01:16 PM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Aye but saying "he played Championship football for us for a full season before that and struggled to make any impression" suggests he played most of the games and failed to make an impression

Aye, if you take that bit out of context it does read like that. But in the rest of my post I did mention that he didn't play many games. Just that it would be the same situation for him in the PL, so why expect any different?

I agree about Mbemba. I think he's looked a good player, even at left back, and it's a shame to see him go.
30th June 2018 03:01 PM
The Lewis Offline

First Team Starter

I've seen him bang in plenty for Serbia
1st July 2018 12:54 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Fan Favourite

Hi Mac.
27th July 2019 01:50 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

I got a fuckin fright there
27th July 2019 01:52 AM
guff Offline

First Team Regular

Big Grin
27th July 2019 11:03 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Starter

Another goal tonight, certainly rattling them in this season,.... Clearly the championship is his level..... Or is it?
23rd October 2019 07:42 PM