Failed managers becoming 'expert pundits'

ToonArmy1892 Offline

Banned

Does my absolute head in this..managers sacked for being useless then become pundits..Paul Clement in the studio for the PSG Madrid game telling us whats what for fucks sake.
14th February 2018 08:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
RE: Failed managers becoming 'expert pundits'

Could be worse, Mac could be on there telling them how shit Rafa is..... now don’t bite Mac only joking Wink
14th February 2018 10:31 PM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

Bemusing and frustrating is how I describe Benitez......never shit
14th February 2018 11:09 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

What? No John Carver on the panel? I heard the yawn inducing drone of Michael Owen in the studio beforehand, that was enough for me, I put the Simpsons back on until kick off.
15th February 2018 06:44 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

This kind of subject matter always niggles with me....

define 'failed managers'

Clement was assistant manager at PSG so maybe he is actually able to give some expert analysis

To assume that even a 'failed manager' can't shed light on certain situations to the armchair football fan is nowt but arrogance
15th February 2018 08:08 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Banned

(15th February 2018 08:08 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.This kind of subject matter always niggles with me....

define 'failed managers'

Clement was assistant manager at PSG so maybe he is actually able to give some expert analysis

To assume that even a 'failed manager' can't shed light on certain situations to the armchair football fan is nowt but arrogance

It's not really...why should someone sacked from their only managerial job then get a job as a pundit and have a platform to tell people about what's going on when his methods failed? Makes a mockery of punditry.

Don't get me started on Pardew.

It's similar to the mediocre manager's on the merry-go-round getting sacked from jobs and replacing each other..keep getting jobs despite proving to be not good enough..not their problem like, more fool the people appointing them.

And Gary Neville slating Rafa's tactics when he miserably failed at the same club where Benitez won two league titles and a Uefa Cup, can't make it up.
(This post was last modified: 15th February 2018 09:04 AM by ToonArmy1892.)
15th February 2018 08:57 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

If a manager is sacked after being given all the tools he needs to fulfill his remit then fair enough

more often than not that isn't the case.......in a lot of instances for 'failed manager' read 'failed owner/chairman'
15th February 2018 09:02 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Starter

I'm sure I saw Gary Monk on somewhere at the weekend bumping his gums about footie, yes he knows more than the average joe but he's still failed at championship managerial level, gary nevilles another one criticisng other managers when he made a right pigs ear of his opportunity, Rolleyes
15th February 2018 09:05 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Banned

(15th February 2018 09:02 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.If a manager is sacked after being given all the tools he needs to fulfill his remit then fair enough

more often than not that isn't the case.......in a lot of instances for 'failed manager' read 'failed owner/chairman'

Carvalhal is making Clement look like a failed manager, no?
(This post was last modified: 15th February 2018 09:15 AM by ToonArmy1892.)
15th February 2018 09:10 AM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular

Who would you rather have dictating to you how you should perceive the football that's being played?
15th February 2018 09:14 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

no
15th February 2018 09:15 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Banned

(15th February 2018 09:14 AM)lipsquid Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Who would you rather have dictating to you how you should perceive the football that's being played?

Successful managers but obviously most of them are managing because they are good.

It's not rocket science is it, if you are starting a new job and want to learn about the role, would you want to listen to someone who has been successful at said role or someone who's been sacked from it?

Well, you might want to listen to the person who got sacked aswell, and do the opposite but ye kna.
(This post was last modified: 15th February 2018 09:21 AM by ToonArmy1892.)
15th February 2018 09:17 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Starter

(15th February 2018 09:14 AM)lipsquid Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.Who would you rather have dictating to you how you should perceive the football that's being played?

ant and dick
15th February 2018 09:18 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

It's just yet another 'what else can I complain about' subjects for me...

you're sitting there with a remote in your hand....make a fuckin choice

(This post was last modified: 15th February 2018 09:22 AM by McCreery.)
15th February 2018 09:21 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Banned

(15th February 2018 09:21 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.It's just yet another 'what else can I complain about' subjects for me...

you're sitting there with a remote in your hand....make a fuckin choice

I do more often than not...like the 'build up' to our games on sky i have stopped watching, as it's bullshit.

I would like to listen to it though, if it was unbiased and insightful, but it's neither.
(This post was last modified: 15th February 2018 09:26 AM by ToonArmy1892.)
15th February 2018 09:25 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

(15th February 2018 09:18 AM)WilloTheWimp Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

ant and dick

I keep reading that in a South African accent
15th February 2018 09:28 AM
huntface Offline

First Team Starter

(15th February 2018 09:17 AM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

Successful managers but obviously most of them are managing because they are good.

It's not rocket science is it, if you are starting a new job and want to learn about the role, would you want to listen to someone who has been successful at said role or someone who's been sacked from it?

Well, you might want to listen to the person who got sacked aswell, and do the opposite but ye kna.

The one that gets me is Souness. Sky and the press hang on his every word.

A bloke that the Observer once dubbed the worst manager in history.
15th February 2018 09:36 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Banned

(15th February 2018 09:15 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.no

How so?
15th February 2018 09:47 AM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Starter

(15th February 2018 09:28 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(15th February 2018 09:18 AM)WilloTheWimp Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

ant and dick

I keep reading that in a South African accent

Dec's a dick in any language Wink

(15th February 2018 09:36 AM)huntface Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(15th February 2018 09:17 AM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

The one that gets me is Souness. Sky and the press hang on his every word.

A bloke that the Observer once dubbed the worst manager in history.

is he still on super sunday?? together with Thierry (hurry up and get to the point you french twit) Henry?
(This post was last modified: 15th February 2018 09:53 AM by WilloTheWimp.)
15th February 2018 09:51 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

because of the reasons I gave above

Was Bobby Robson a 'failed manager' at Newcastle because Souness came in and went on a 9 match unbeaten run?
15th February 2018 09:57 AM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

Any manager can give an insight as to why a certain decision has been made for example, but it’s when the pundits get into the area of “he should have done that” that their position weakens. The bbc currently use Phil Brown on 5live, and considering that southend have just heave hoed him, he’s hardly in a position to recommend solutions to Arsene Wenger.
Most of the punditry is shop window stuff, it’s basically a live job application and you just have to sort out the wheat from the chaff when it comes to personal taste. To be fair to souness, at least he was successful at a high domestic lecel, winning trophies in England, Scotland, Portugal and Turkey, which by any standard is pretty reasonable. He was just shit at our place.
15th February 2018 10:00 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Banned

I think Souness is alright as a pundit overall, better than alot of them, he's just completely bitter when it comes to Newcastle.
15th February 2018 10:05 AM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular

No it's not rocket science, it's football punditry. I doubt they'd get very far in any applications they made to NASA unless it was to say "Whoosh! There goes another car into space!".

The bit that's in bold is a bit of a silly statement really isn't it? It implies that rather than gain work experience by doing coaching badges, football managers learn their trade by listening to other football managers on the telly.

Pundits are like critics. You have a choice of agreeing with them or not. Personally I don't rely on them to tell me how I should or should not be viewing football games. They're paid to say shit, to criticise. Like said on here recently football is all about ifs - if the 'keeper hadn't come off his line and flapped and the opposition scored then he'd be criticised for not coming off his line flapping. If the flapping had prevented a goal being scored then he wasn't flapping, he was making himself big.

Is it the fact that they're sat there being paid tens of thousands of pounds for talking shite for 10 minutes that really gets to you? That, unfortunately, is how it is and you're misdirecting your dislike for this practice by voicing it on here. Unless you'd like to start a campaign group. I would like to ask what sort of metric you would use to verify a potential pundit's punditry credentials though. Presumably Shearer, being a failed manager, shouldn't be a pundit at all.
15th February 2018 10:24 AM
McCreery Offline

Fan Favourite

oooohhh...shit just got serious
15th February 2018 10:27 AM
ToonArmy1892 Offline

Banned

(15th February 2018 10:24 AM)lipsquid Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

No it's not rocket science, it's football punditry. I doubt they'd get very far in any applications they made to NASA unless it was to say "Whoosh! There goes another car into space!".

The bit that's in bold is a bit of a silly statement really isn't it? It implies that rather than gain work experience by doing coaching badges, football managers learn their trade by listening to other football managers on the telly.

Pundits are like critics. You have a choice of agreeing with them or not. Personally I don't rely on them to tell me how I should or should not be viewing football games. They're paid to say shit, to criticise. Like said on here recently football is all about ifs - if the 'keeper hadn't come off his line and flapped and the opposition scored then he'd be criticised for not coming off his line flapping. If the flapping had prevented a goal being scored then he wasn't flapping, he was making himself big.

Is it the fact that they're sat there being paid tens of thousands of pounds for talking shite for 10 minutes that really gets to you? That, unfortunately, is how it is and you're misdirecting your dislike for this practice by voicing it on here. Unless you'd like to start a campaign group. I would like to ask what sort of metric you would use to verify a potential pundit's punditry credentials though. Presumably Shearer, being a failed manager, shouldn't be a pundit at all.

Sorry Paul.
15th February 2018 10:41 AM
lipsquid Offline

First Team Regular

(15th February 2018 10:27 AM)McCreery Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.oooohhh...shit just got serious

It's not serious until that picture gets posted.
15th February 2018 05:16 PM
WilloTheWimp Offline

First Team Starter

(15th February 2018 10:41 AM)ToonArmy1892 Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.
(15th February 2018 10:24 AM)lipsquid Wrote: Guests cannot see links in the messages. Please register to forum by clicking here to see links.

Sorry Paul.

Paul?? Smile
16th February 2018 09:08 AM