This Club of Ours.

Thread Closed 
This Club of Ours.

NE1 Offline

First Team Regular
This Club of Ours.

This Club of Ours, eh.

My first game watching Newcastle United was in 1973 at the age of 3. I know this, cos my Dad and Uncle remind me all the time about being to small to see over the wall in the paddock. They had to stand with me on their shoulders for the entire match. That was 26 years ago. I have been a season ticket holder since 1991, before that, you didnt need a ticket to get in.

I have travelled home on a friday night, got in the house at 12am, then been on the road again at 5am for an away day fixture. I have got back after the game at 1am, jumped into bed and got up on the sunday, had lunch, then disappeared back down south. If we got beat, well, the next away journey it was forgotten and we were full of optimism again. It was what we did.

I have missed some big games (Cup Final 99 and Barca 3-2) to name a couple. However, I managed to watch them, even though the TV in the places where I staying was shit. I have even gone to "no go" areas just to get to a pub and watch the Toon.

My saturdays now are meeting the lads at 10am and have a couple of Brown Ales and enjoy the crack. Its always good banter, becasue we are always going to win. Well, it used to be like that. Still, we believe it after a few bottles.

I have seen some incredible games and been to some fantastic away games. I have seen people make tits of themselves, which makes the whole day out. I have made a tit of myself (jumping off the bus at Grimsby, saying "fuck man, look at all the Black and White tops, only to be told.. that Grimbsy also play in Black and White). I have been in London with the missus drinking in covent garden with a load of spurs fans, having a great laugh. Even the away games to Coventry I loved.... .... aye, cant work that one out myself either, but they were great.

Newcastle United has cost me one fiancee and several casual girlfriends. They didnt seem to understand the passion that lives & breathes inside for our club. They thought they came first, they didnt. However, now I am with a lass who does come first.. thats because she has never doubted my love for Newcastle United and would never ask me to make a choice.

So, with all this turmoil going on. I look to the future.

Mike Ashley wont ever drain my love for this club. No matter what he does or how bad things seem under his ownership at the moment. I will continue to support Newcastle United. The players that are here, well I have my favourites and I see that ones that have come for the money. I may not like it, however, I will not stop supporting the team I love because of them. They will get their bit, it grinds me, but thats the way it, we dont have to be happy about it.

I looked at Man City with a little envy when they were bought. But now, I am not sure missing out on that particular buyer was a blessing in disguise. Yes, Man City are sure to go onto to win things, but, they wont ever be a "team".. they will be a group of mercenaries.

We may never win another trophy, but I will always be a season ticket holder and I will always be at the games. I will offer my full support as best I can and thrive on the passion of the similar types of people around me.

It may take us time, or we may never get back to the top of the Premier League. but hey..... Thats This Club of Ours, eh.
(This post was last modified: 17th July 2009 07:18 AM by NE1.)
17th July 2009 07:14 AM
Find all posts by this user
DUMFRIESGEORDIE Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
This Club of Ours.

fantastic wee post there lad.
17th July 2009 07:15 AM
gb58 Offline

Youth Team
This Club of Ours.

One of the best posts I've read in ages (maybe ever!!) I doff my cap to you, sir.
17th July 2009 09:07 AM
DUMFRIESGEORDIE Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
This Club of Ours.

yip i think we should put that on main page.
17th July 2009 09:10 AM
The Steve Offline

Fan Favourite
This Club of Ours.

[Image: applause.gif]
17th July 2009 09:12 AM
lundypete Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
This Club of Ours.

NE1 Wrote:This Club of Ours, eh.

I looked at Man City with a little envy when they were bought. But now, I am not sure missing out on that particular buyer was a blessing in disguise. Yes, Man City are sure to go onto to win things, but, they wont ever be a "team".. they will be a group of mercenaries.

A great post....but whist Man City maybe mercenaries, its our supporters that make our club great. I would still love to have their owners over any that we have had.
17th July 2009 09:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
This Club of Ours.

lundypete Wrote:A great post....but whist Man City maybe mercenaries, its our supporters that make our club great. I would still love to have their owners over any that we have had.

yup.

I totally empathise with most of what NE1 has written as I started going about the same period. But if it took a take over by Kim Jong Il sponsored by Warren Buffett and Bill Gates to make us the biggest bunch of trophy buyers since Chelsea under Jose, I'd be the happiest boy in the sand pit of life.
Just for once I'd like my years of heartache to have a glimmer of genuine glory.

All clubs buy success these days. Unfortunately that's the way the game is now set up. But at least it wouldn't stop us as fans from enjoying it as we will be the same.
17th July 2009 09:41 AM
DUMFRIESGEORDIE Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
This Club of Ours.

Yip i agree, we have shown our loyalty without the lure of multi-million pound signings, now we deserve a little of the luck others are getting that didnt do just this.
17th July 2009 09:44 AM
Texasmag Offline

First Team Regular
This Club of Ours.

Great post NE1.
17th July 2009 11:06 AM
Stoner Offline

First Team Regular
This Club of Ours.

That's a moving post, NE.

And if Karma actually worked then things would be going to be fanbloodytastic in the coming seasons.
17th July 2009 11:18 AM
amble_ball Offline

First Team Benchwarmer
This Club of Ours.

great post mate. the only thing that's getting me through this grief at the moment is the thought that one day we can look back on it and say "fucking hell, it was rough for a bit then wasn;t it?"
17th July 2009 11:48 AM
LeazesLoyal Offline

First Team Starter
This Club of Ours.

NE1 my sentiments exactly mate - I'll be there come what may supporting the club I love.

No matter how bad our owners they can't stop me.

Just wish for once in our lives we were ran with the same passion and desire I and many others put into following them.
17th July 2009 12:14 PM
De Sade Offline

Youth Team
This Club of Ours.

Good post NE1. Except the bit about glad we missed out on Man Citys owners..on that score you're just having a laugh.
17th July 2009 12:16 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
This Club of Ours.

De Sade Wrote:Good post NE1. Except the bit about glad we missed out on Man Citys owners..on that score you're just having a laugh.

my god, we agree again. Must be a Friday. Tongue
17th July 2009 12:41 PM
De Sade Offline

Youth Team
This Club of Ours.

I aint so bad Tongue
17th July 2009 12:43 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
This Club of Ours.

De Sade Wrote:I aint so bad Tongue

me and De Sade sharing a Victoria sponge and a nice cup of tea.

[Image: fig05_500.jpg]
17th July 2009 12:48 PM
De Sade Offline

Youth Team
This Club of Ours.

We could be taken for sisters
17th July 2009 12:51 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular
This Club of Ours.

De Sade Wrote:We could be taken for sisters

that's a nice pendant. do you want to see my new brooch? its like a thistle. I bought it at a little shop in Rothbury.
17th July 2009 12:53 PM
De Sade Offline

Youth Team
This Club of Ours.

I once got taken from behind in a park by a Tommy returning from the Somme in Rothbury...ooh those were the days.
17th July 2009 12:58 PM
joe harvey 69 Offline

Youth Team
This Club of Ours.

Mint post NE1, not so sure about the man city bit but hey thats your opinion mate. Sad as it is there is no way a manager like say cloughie who cobbled together a team of misfits and free transfers and moulded them into champions exists any more without spending shedloads of cash now.
17th July 2009 03:42 PM

Thread Closed