Do we think the whole pack of football cards is coming down?

Thread Closed 

Venegoor Offline

Captain

With the announcement that the total debt of the Prem is now a staggering £3.1 billion, I wonder if the Premiership House of Mammon is starting to crumble? The red bindipper's holding company has lost the thick end of 43 million quid, and the owners have a huge £340 million loan to try and re-finance (again) in july. Our problems are well documented, and when you think that the combined debt of chelski and man ure is £1.5 billion, you do wonder how long they can sustain it, when the rewards of winning even the Champions League are financially minor in comparison. Red and blue bindippers also need to find another 400 mil for new grounds, as do spurts and chelski, they are by no means guaranteed to sustain it, as 1 bad season in their new homes would drop them deep in the shit. Setanta are on the verge of reneging on a contractual obligation, and I wonder how many people would pay extra subs to take on the burden if Sky took over their package? I get the feeling a well run club like West Brom, are probably likely to survive longer with their occassional forays in the Prem and the subsequent parachute payments, than the 'big boys'. We may be better off getting our house in order now in the fizzy pop, here's hoping we get the right partnership to do it.
5th June 2009 05:55 PM
Find all posts by this user
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Aye Ven totally agree we need to get ourselves sorted in the fizzy pop lets hope the fat cunt ashley sells up.
5th June 2009 05:58 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

In a big way my friend.

I would not be surprised to see a rule about percentage of debts v revenue start to pick up pace before too much longer. And in the meantime, it'll all come tumbling down. Unless your Real fucking Madrid and can get the government to wipe your debts for you.
5th June 2009 05:58 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

countofbiarritz Wrote:In a big way my friend.

I would not be surprised to see a rule about percentage of debts v revenue start to pick up pace before too much longer. And in the meantime, it'll all come tumbling down. Unless your Real fucking Madrid and can get the government to wipe your debts for you.

I find it staggering that UEFA countenance such chicanery (Did I really just say that?) in the finances. Their debts are guaranteed by the local Madrid council, and they currently stand at about 3/4 of billion conservatively. It'll take someone of that stature to go tits up before someone does something - as usual. We'll soon be back to the halcyon days of 'Tufty' Frobisher running out as captain of the Corinthian Casuals drawing on a Pall Mall, and the better we'll be for it my dear fellow.
5th June 2009 06:15 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

Well, funnily enough Venners, some cove has stuck up some scurrilous rumour about Liverpool FC going tits up.

Honestly. Wink

5th June 2009 06:17 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

countofbiarritz Wrote:Well, funnily enough Venners, some cove has stuck up some scurrilous rumour about Liverpool FC going tits up.

Honestly. Wink

Eek

Good heavens! We musr root the blighter out and......................reward him Big Grin
5th June 2009 06:22 PM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

The simple anwer is no. The "city experts" have been saying for 10 years now that football cant sustain this growth in wages. 10 years later they are still proving these experts wrong.

Make no mistake, this is the biggest cash cart in the world at the minute for sports. So long as the TV bods keep stumping up the money, then there will be no sudden collapse of the football cards.
5th June 2009 06:29 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

NE1 Wrote:Do we think the whole pack of football cards is coming down?

The simple anwer is no. The "city experts" have been saying for 10 years now that football cant sustain this growth in wages. 10 years later they are still proving these experts wrong.

Make no mistake, this is the biggest cash cart in the world at the minute for sports. So long as the TV bods keep stumping up the money, then there will be no sudden collapse of the football cards.

They said that about the UK economy, even though it was based on (credit card) debt, and we all know what's happening to that. :mad:
5th June 2009 06:32 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

But how long can successful clubs like Manure keep making a profit of £84m but having to repay £88m in debt repayments every season.
5th June 2009 06:48 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

Didn't they lose something like £50 million in their Prem/CL winning season? I think it was Jinky who put the stats up on here.

Jesus, imagine if Taggart retires and they don't make the top four one year? They'd be well fucked.
5th June 2009 06:53 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

They will be fucked in the year 2012, all the debt becomes due, and they don't have a hope in hell of paying it..

They collapse like the world banks...
5th June 2009 06:57 PM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

Jinkyjim Wrote:They will be fucked in the year 2012, all the debt becomes due, and they don't have a hope in hell of paying it..

They collapse like the world banks...

No wonder Taggart is bailing out in a couple of years.
5th June 2009 07:00 PM
lundypete Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Trading in pubs is hard enough at the moment, so when sky told me that my bill for showing football here is £1100 - A MONTH, I told them to get rid. I am not the only one: it is not going to last forever.
5th June 2009 07:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Ryton Mag Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

lundypete Wrote:Trading in pubs is hard enough at the moment, so when sky told me that my bill for showing football here is £1100 - A MONTH, I told them to get rid. I am not the only one: it is not going to last forever.

I concur gents. All good things come to end and the world is a dynamic place and that includes football, things will change. Sky can't keep increasing their bankrolling of the prem forever because the public will get to a point where they won't keep paying for it as Pete alludes to. Even before that point is reached then clubs like manure and the dippers will sooner or later crash, business's can't srvice debt like that forever, the spending has to come to an end at some point and I feel that point is rapidly being reached.

I would imagine that this season or next Man C or spuds will break into the top 4 and that means one of the current lot will be up shit creek. My bet is arsenal but it could equally be the dippers, once one of them goes you watch the whole lot come tumbling down as the banks will get nervous and start calling in the debts. Only clubs like Chalski, villa etc will be ok as they currently have sugar dadies.
5th June 2009 07:37 PM
Brassneck

Unregistered

"the spending has to come to an end at some point and I feel that point is rapidly being reached..."

oh do you really feel that??,..fuckin BULLSHIT, the big four will be there as long as they desire to be there, and sky will be covering their matches long after me and you are history,...i`m sick of all this critisism of other clubs just simply because they have their collective shit sorted on the pitch where it matters , just because we are fucked on the pitch AND of it please just accept that our club is naff and wish the others all the best FFS Rolleyes
5th June 2009 07:44 PM
Ryton Mag Offline

First Team Benchwarmer

Yes I do feel that, I accept our club naff and it was naff before MA came. He has tried to run the club as a business is run outside of football by insisting on cutting debt and paying for things up front. What that meant was that he effectively tied the clubs hands in the transfer market to a point where we could hardly compete.

I think he is niaive in the extreem because basically football clubs need to have a sugar daddy, always have and always will. But I think the current debt of football clubs has gone beyond what is reasonable never mind players wages and sooner or later it will have to slow down.
5th June 2009 07:52 PM
countofbiarritz Offline

Chairman

And even Chelsea's sugar daddy has given them the money in the form of an interest free loan, so even they are being funded on the never-never (though I don't know about Villa, so they may be alright). He could potentially call it in at any time of his choosing, and God knows what would happen to the club if Abramovich does a Lubbock. Nationalisation under Putin perhaps?

Jesus, nearly a billion pounds worth of debt, and Chelsea are still seen as a viable concern and allowed to trade. It's crazy, absolutely stark raving crazy. The lines of credit just seem to get bigger and bigger whilst the collossal financial rewards the game awards are no longer enough to do as much as simply break even.

As the banks have found out, these black holes in finance can only last so long before they collapse in on themselves and have to be filled. It simply cannot go on for much longer. This empircal short termism will one day sink a big club, one day very soon I think. As an entity, football simply isn't growing financially anymore, it's hit the ceiling. The money needed to stand still at the top is now outstripping the revenue being at the top brings in.

If that isn't a big fuck off warning sign in huge day-glo letters large enough to be visible from space then I don't know what is. Football has been fucking itself up it's own arse for years, and it simply can't reach around anymore.

A completely shit metaphor for the situation having read that back. But there you go. "The dick of football has shrunk". Beat that for a headline Murdoch.

5th June 2009 07:57 PM
rotti Offline

First Team Regular

Aslong as it isnt us m8 fuck whoever it is.
5th June 2009 07:59 PM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

lundypete Wrote:Trading in pubs is hard enough at the moment, so when sky told me that my bill for showing football here is £1100 - A MONTH, I told them to get rid. I am not the only one: it is not going to last forever.

Its more money from overseas now. Sadly.
5th June 2009 09:38 PM
Jinkyjim Offline

First Team Regular

How long will these overseas viewers put up with watching..

Wigan
Bolton
Hull
Burnley
Birmingham
Wolves
Fulham
Blackburn

Best League in the world...!!!!! Richard Keys you talk shite...
5th June 2009 09:43 PM
huntface Offline

First Team Starter

And how long will people in the UK put up with paying £40+ a month for Sky when they could be, i dunno, feeding their family

Or pubs too. My local pays £800
5th June 2009 10:20 PM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

Venegoor Wrote:With the announcement that the total debt of the Prem is now a staggering £3.1 billion, I wonder if the Premiership House of Mammon is starting to crumble? The red bindipper's holding company has lost the thick end of 43 million quid, and the owners have a huge £340 million loan to try and re-finance (again) in july. Our problems are well documented, and when you think that the combined debt of chelski and man ure is £1.5 billion, you do wonder how long they can sustain it, when the rewards of winning even the Champions League are financially minor in comparison. Red and blue bindippers also need to find another 400 mil for new grounds, as do spurts and chelski, they are by no means guaranteed to sustain it, as 1 bad season in their new homes would drop them deep in the shit. Setanta are on the verge of reneging on a contractual obligation, and I wonder how many people would pay extra subs to take on the burden if Sky took over their package? I get the feeling a well run club like West Brom, are probably likely to survive longer with their occassional forays in the Prem and the subsequent parachute payments, than the 'big boys'. We may be better off getting our house in order now in the fizzy pop, here's hoping we get the right partnership to do it.

Mr Sausage says..."PARAGRAPHS YOUNG MAN!"
6th June 2009 10:43 AM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

Venegoor Wrote:With the announcement that the total debt of the Prem is now a staggering £3.1 billion, I wonder if the Premiership House of Mammon is starting to crumble? The red bindipper's holding company has lost the thick end of 43 million quid, and the owners have a huge £340 million loan to try and re-finance (again) in july. Our problems are well documented, and when you think that the combined debt of chelski and man ure is £1.5 billion, you do wonder how long they can sustain it, when the rewards of winning even the Champions League are financially minor in comparison. Red and blue bindippers also need to find another 400 mil for new grounds, as do spurts and chelski, they are by no means guaranteed to sustain it, as 1 bad season in their new homes would drop them deep in the shit. Setanta are on the verge of reneging on a contractual obligation, and I wonder how many people would pay extra subs to take on the burden if Sky took over their package? I get the feeling a well run club like West Brom, are probably likely to survive longer with their occassional forays in the Prem and the subsequent parachute payments, than the 'big boys'. We may be better off getting our house in order now in the fizzy pop, here's hoping we get the right partnership to do it.

There won't be a Prem chairman who'll be glad to see us going down. BBC are showing 10 live second division matches next season - bet they are delighted we went down.

Personally I am glad that three of the big 4 are in such financial shite. It is only via their "financial doping", as Wenger astutely put it, that they keep winning.
If it was a fair playing field and rules were brought in over how much debt clubs were allowed to have then I for one would find the otherwise moribund Prem league a lot more entertaining.
As it stands I am glad of a bit of light relief from the sad pantomime that passes for competition in the Prem. At least in the second division we will see a degree of genuine competitiveness. And as for the opposition? Well I go to watch NUFC, not fucking Man U or Chelsea, so I don't really care if we are playing Scunthorpe.
I'll leave it to fans of Hull and Wigan to get a hard on that they are watching England's Gerrard and Rooney waltzing through their defence.
6th June 2009 10:50 AM
NE1 Offline

First Team Regular

The_Flaming_Lip Wrote:There won't be a Prem chairman who'll be glad to see us going down. BBC are showing 10 live second division matches next season - bet they are delighted we went down.

Shearers big plan to get back on MOTD, maybes?? :o
6th June 2009 11:00 AM
The_Flaming_Lip Offline

First Team Regular

NE1 Wrote:Shearers big plan to get back on MOTD, maybes?? :o

If he is manager and apprears on the MOTD settee will he have the good grace to criticise himself? Now that would be worth watching Big Grin
6th June 2009 11:02 AM
Venegoor Offline

Captain

The_Flaming_Lip Wrote:Mr Sausage says..."PARAGRAPHS YOUNG MAN!"

Bollox, read it in smaller bursts Big Grin
6th June 2009 11:20 AM

Thread Closed